Friday, January 18, 2013

Booming last day.

The forecast for the last day was for clouds at 12,000' and strong lift.  The wind was 30km out the west so the task committee called an out and return 193km to the north.  It would turn out to be a very tough task.

Bobby towed me the last day and I was hoping he would take it easy on me.  It was an uneventful tow to about 1500' when he started to thermal with me.  A couple other pilots were close so I pinned off and started to climb with some help around me.  Turned out not to be the best thermal.  The thermal was drifting fast.  I only got to 6000' and drifted all the way to Forbes.  The clock ticked over 1:40pm for the first start.  I was low and already 10km off the course line.  How on earth was I ever going to make any progress on this massive task?  I briefly thought about just calling it a day and landing back at the airport.  Instead I headed down course.  Where ever I land I don't really care.  After a short glide I hit some better lift taking me over 8000'.  With a little more height and the promise of better lift I worked my way up wind trying to get more on the course line.  Next thermal was 1000'/min to 12,000'.  Now this was more like the forecast.  Davis said the lift would shut down at five so I started to push hard.  Passing any lift less than 800'/min I went on a long glide until I slammed into a solid 1000'/min down at 5000'asl.  It turned into 1200-1400'/min all the way back to base.  My next long glide took me down to 1500' where I had to claw my way back to base.  From here I stayed high to the turn point before the long trip back.  I connected with Jamie for a bit but was too tired to work with her and soon lost her.  I was ready to land any time and the lift seemed was getting weaker.  Even though I was tired I was holding out some hope I might make it back.  I hit a solid climb at 6:00pm that took me back to 12,000'.  If the day would keep working for a couple more hours I could make it in.  Not likely I could fly til 8 but I was going to give it my best.  I worked some lift getting to 7-8000' but fighting against a 20km/hr head wind it was apparent I wasn't going to make it.  I landed with in minutes of my team, Linda and Jamie getting about 10km further.  After nearly six hours in the air I made 154km of the task.  I've had enough flying for a few days. 

No comments: