Friday, August 21, 2009

Need to make goal.

We had a brisk south west wind today and called an 82km task to Clear water. We tried to encourage every one to get off early as we had a risk of storms to the north. It didn't seem that good early to me so I wanted to wait for the last start time hoping the day would get stronger. My theory was good as the first themal I got into was a boomer taking me to cloud base over launch. I was a few minutes behind the last start time. Not a great start but not bad. I went charging off hard hoping to win the day big. It was a strong wind and I was getting a great ground speed. It was a long glide between climbs but I was finding good lift and climbing well. I was going by gliders low in the valley and went over John Mclintoc by a couple thousand feet. I knew I was pushing too hard when I passed a couple light thermals when I was starting to get low. Hoping to catch a low save I caught up with Ross Hunter but we were unable to dig out and landed with Tyler about 25km from goal. I only needed one climb to make it in and should have been a little more patient. John flew over our heads a short while later and was the only one to make goal. Taking the last start also cost me leading points. I was happy with my flying and shouldn't get hurt too much in the overall standings. Looks like we could have a good day tomorrow.

No comments: