Monday, June 21, 2010

Canadian Nats.

Not much to report from me on the nats. Due to some poor weather and poor flying on my part I never got on course.

The highest scoring day the forecast winds were light out of the west. This means the wind comes over the back and you need to get off launch when you can. The first few pilots took off when the wind would cycle up. It's a fine line between launching too early and sinking out and waiting too long and not getting off. I watch the first few go and was dressed and ready to go myself. Just standing beside my glider checking on the progress of those in the air. Several pilots were standing in line so I had six in front of me. When the wind started to blow in Dave Scott was at the front of the line and took to the air. I turned around put on my harness and helmet. When I turned my glider around the whole field had launched. I walked to the edge of the hill as the wind started to die down. Then it blew down and the last six of us were stuck on launch.

Turns out the first turn point we had was 20km back into tiger country and no one was willing to fly back there. A few pilots thought the day should be scrapped which would have been great for me but in the end it was scored and was the highest scoring day of the meet.

The only other day with any sort of points was the last day. I was one of the first few off and didn't hook into the thermal right in front of launch. This mistake put me on the ground and was the end of the comp for me.

Ross did a great job on the last day and is this years national champion. Congratulations to Ross and Milko who won the king posted class.

Randy did a great job promoting the event and had some great prizes. Ross got a new North wing freedom 170 single surface glider for winning.

Hopefully we'll be onto better weather and flying for the rest of the summer.

No comments: