Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Chased out of the sky.

It looked like and awsome day.


We arrived at the tow field about 11:00am. With a perfect looking sky and hotter than yesturday I started to set up right away. By 12:30 I was ready to go. It seemed a little early but the only other thing we needed to see was a glider climbing. With a short road I ended up with a low tow at 1000'. I pinned off in a broken climb but, managed to work my way up to 8000'. I headed down wind to our declaired goal of Many barry at 213km. The clouds looked great, I had a strong tail wind straight down my course line but, I was finding it hard to get a good climb. Their was lost of strong lift but nothing you could get a full 360 in. With the low cloud base I spent my whole flight looking for lift. I had a couple of birds check me out. I went to join one in my best thermal of the day but he made me very nervous. He passed within 10' right below me and came around and stuck right on my butt. I lost my climb and thought it would be a good idea to just bug out. It turned out to be my last thermal. I thought I was going to pull off a low save at 600' but it wasn't meant to be. John was able to get away as well but shared my struggles and landed a short distance from the tow road. Moore was the hero of the day. Flying a sport 2 he was able to show the topless gliders how it's done. He got away on his second tow at about 2:00. He headed straight south following the high way. He made it just short of Lethbridge. His total distance was about 60km. Kal did an awsome job of towing us up and then picking us up. He pick me up waiting by the road and then we were off to pick up John. We help him finish packing up his glider and we were off chasing Moore. We were able to catch up to him and arrived just after he landed. We helped him tear down his glider and headed home. Moore does so much to help the rest of us with out asking for any thing in return. He has picked me up on some of my best flights including my longest ever. I was very happy to be there to help him after a long flight. Few people deserve to have a great flight than Moore. Thanks to Kal and John for there help and congratulations to Moore on a great flight on what I found to be a tough day.

No comments: