Thursday, June 18, 2009

On the road.

Well I have lots of time to blog just had to figure out a little German and the computer key boards here.

I was surprised at the number of people at the Calgary air port and had to do the air port 200 yard dash as they were calling out my name to board the flight. I've never taken more than five minutes to get through security in Calgary and I stood in line for 20. At least I wasn't the last one on the plane.

Once in Vancouver Christine was all ready circling waiting for me to arrive. Thanks for dropping my glider off for me Chrissy! Once I found out where the Air Berlin check in was I headed over and the line was already long 4 1\2 hrs before the flight. ze Germans like to be early.

Check in was a breeze as the Jeff's had already paved the way on Monday. I had the same staff to deal with so they knew what they needed to do. After paying the $40 over size baggage fee, we took my glider out to the curb where a truck was brought up to take it out to the plane. A baggage handler was instructed to ride in the truck to hold the glider. They must have figured this out after the Jeff's gliders fell off the truck a few times. The Air Berlin staff was very accommodating. I was told my glider had been loaded on the plane when I boarded.

Arriving in Duessel Dorf I found my glider in what appears to be good shape. Another couple was picking up their bike and asked what I paid to have my glider shipped with me. "$40" I responded. Their jaw hit the floor, "we paid $200 for the bike" which is considerably smaller that my glider. I explained they had special pricing for selected sporting item's. I guess bikes aren't really a sport. Once the baggage carousel stopped my harness was still no where to be seen and every one was gone. I've never had any luggage lost on me before and was not thrilled that this would be the first time. The glider isn't much good if I don't have a harness. The customer service girl was very pleasant and assured me they would ship it to me when it was located. That's not going to help me next week. I told her I would be at the airport all day waiting for my ride. She suggested checking back in a couple of hours. Sure enough two hours later I tracked her down and they had found it. Thank god! Luck is on my side so far.

Now I'm just waiting for the Danish team to pick me up in a few hours and we're off to France. I'll be glad when I can lay down and sleep....tomorrow.

3 comments:

Vicki Clarkson said...

Hi Rob, good to hear you made it to Germany and got your harness..

Anonymous said...

Give'r onions Cap'n!!!

mom said...

hi rob
knock em' dead rob
luv mom