Thursday, February 17, 2011

Kicking off the rust.

I've lost my camera but I will try to get a new one so I can post some pictures.

We had a few windy day's here so not to much flying was happening when I got here. The temps. have been great for getting my tan on tho. When the wind backed off I did a bunch of tows with Guy, one of the other tandem pilots. The first couple felt pretty rusty. It really sucks going so long with out being able to fly at home. Even after three months you feel rusty. It's been even longer since I've Areo towed, three years! It's great having some coaching from some one who does it every day.

Today Guy signed me off on my New Zealand ratings and I took my first customers. Two tour buses came in at 4:00 and we had four micro light flights to do and five tandems. Wouldn't you know my first passenger was Canadian! A girl from Toronto who giggled pretty much the entire flight. Also my good luck the airport was busier than JFK at that time. Trevor snuck out on grass strip next to the paved run way with the micro light and I had to wait for 4 planes to land before we could go.

Once we got threw a bit of turbulence for the first few hundred feet the air was butter smooth. Then I here some one calling me on the radio. It's the sky dive plane asking me to move a bit to the west as he was dropping off some sky divers. I moved over a bit but I don't think as far as he would have liked. I was staying super conservative and with a good sea breeze blowing in I didn't want to wander too far away from the strip.

Trevor my boss is very safety conscious and I'm staying extra Conservative until I become comfortable with all the action we have here. Looks like we have five great days of weather ahead of us.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Rob, glad to hear that things are under way and you're enjoying yourself. Keep up with the blog - love to hear how things are going!

Hope the weather stays good and the flights are great - Bev

Serge said...

How did it go with the earthquake? Now I see flying could be much safer than being on the ground over there!