Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Task One.

Today's task was 161km triangle back to the camp ground. I was near the back of my line but got into the air and had a nice climb up to cloud base in time for the second start. I made a small mistake at the start and let the gaggle get a head of me when I should have been with them. I had an easy go for the first 50km when it got tricky. I struggled to the second turn point and landed soon after with about 10 other pilots. I made it about 70km. I will try to stick with the gaggle a little better tomorrow.

Jeff O'brian took the second start as well and sound like he won the day. This will be a huge upset. I don't think any one would have given Jeff much of a chance with what many consider the best feild ever assembled for a hang gliding comp. Hopefully he can keep himself near the top of the standings. We had a couple of mishaps today but I don't think any one was injured.

The first day of any comp is normally really bad for me so if I can improve on today I will be happy with my results.

2 comments:

Fly-ona said...

Hey yo!!!
Fly High, Fly Far! And now that you don't have a big Canader flag on your glider, fly steathlike and without fear of getting all of Canada in trouble for the things you get up to. And DON'T be afraid of heights in this comp either. Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Rob, sounds like your off to a good start, but instead of staying with the gaggle, how about leaving them behind..., OK, OK, I'll be quite well if I can not be there I wanted to try my hand at coaching,
Have fun fly like you always do, and you'll do great.
Rozz