Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Back in the mountians.

We stopped in Golden on the way home to try and squeeze in a flight. The weather wasn't looking very good when we rolled into town, kind of over cast. A few blue spots promted us to head up the hill. It was looking better when we got to the top so we set up right away and got ready to launch. Leif went first and struggled to stay up. He made a valiant effort to get up before heading out to the landing field. I launched next and searched a bit before getting a good climb. It was a strong fast climb up to 10'000' before I pulled out to avoid the dark black cloud above me. I declared a 25km triangle before I launched as I didn't want to land down the valley and make for a long retrieve. I moved my turn points this year and headed off to my new start point. It was a little ways out in the valley but I'm happy with the location of my first two turn points. I wasted some time looking for lift after I got my start but soon got back into a strong climb. Again I pulled out well below cloud base to avoid serious cloud suck. As I headed back to my turn point behind Mt seven I got drilled all the way there. As I dropped lower and lower behind Mt seven I started to panic and ran around to get back out front 600m before I got to my turn point. In retro spec I should have took a better look at the clouds and gotten higher and picked a better line back to my turn point. Also I didn't need to pull out so soon. I don't have to make it back to Nickleson. There are other places you could land although going down behind Mt seven is not an option. I think I blew a great record setting day. I will post the flight when I have a moment.

No comments: