Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Canadian Nats Day one

Looking sw from launch over the LZ

Day one nat’s. I arrived today at noon just as every one was loading up. With the winds out of the south west we picked a task to Spillimcheen and back. Some thing low stress and not too hard to try and start on a good note and have lots of happy pilots. I launched a few back and picked a great cycle. I got over launch right away and start to climb strong. Several pilots bailed off right after me and start climbing up over launch with me. The lift started to break up at 7500’. I headed off to find better lift in front of Mt7. I flew over Fiona turning over the spine and not even a peep out of my vario. I saw Scott very low in front of the cliff’s looking like he would be heading out to land soon. I was very surprised that I wasn’t hitting any lift I looked back and John and Fiona were climbing up the spine. I headed back to get under them but again found nothing. Now I was struggling low with Stewart, Christine and Scott. We struggled well below the cliffs for awhile and finally headed out to land. Christine and Stewart were right behind me and Scott headed south of the punch bowl hoping for one last chance. He found some thing at the south end and climbed up over Seven after struggling for an hour below launch.

Scott would catch the entire field after starting 15 min after the last start time to win the day. John Orders was not far behind followed by Ross. Doug and Fiona came in a short while after with in seconds of each other. This was Fiona’s first time making goal; she continues to fly very well. Half the field made goal the other half bombed out. No one landed out. Scott scored 980 points.

The forecast is for rain mid week, so it looks like we will lose at least one day. I’m very frustrated, by making a couple wrong decisions and a little bad luck I will be out of contention after the first day. The punishment is extreme.

No comments: