Saturday, January 5, 2008

Thermaled into the ground.

Today they called a 224km down wind task. I took the first tow again today. I had a better result today. I tug dropped me off in the best thermal around. I climbed easily and got high. I watched the rest of the field struggle below me before several pilots climbed up to me. We climbed as high as 2300m and headed to the edge of the start circle. I got a week climb just outside of the start circle and was drifting further away. I left the lift as I didn’t want to drift to far away before the start. I found another week climb just inside the start and waited for another 3 minutes before the first start. I was at 1900m when the clock ticked over and decided to go. Two other pilots went with me and we soon stopped in another week climb. I was concerned with the high circus cloud that it would be hard to find lift. I spent a lot of time turning in 0’s just drifting with the wind. I tried to stay as high as possible. Every time I pushed forward I got lower. I got down to 300 feet and had to break open my zipper which had jammed. I managed to find some lift and was able to climb out. I never got high but just kept turning and drifting down wind. I saw the lead gaggle 1km behind me and high. They were too far behind me for me to fight up wind to get to there thermal so I just kept turning. I finally landed 54 km out after 2 ½ hours. There were 26 in goal and any one I talked to said it was light for the first 80km before they got out from under the high cloud. I was at least glad to be flying instead of towing all day.

No comments: