Thursday, January 3, 2008

Tow practice

We meet out at the airfield about noon today. The first task was 125km down wind to the west. Launch opened at 1:40 and the first start was at 2:40. I was stagged in slot 46 and was the first to launch. I towed up to 800m when the weak link broke on the tug end. The tow lines are expensive so if possible they like you to try and drop the line in the tow field. After dropping the line I landed. Not many pilots were keen to go yet so I got back into line. I towed up and was waved off at 700m above another pilot turning. The thermal was died and the pilot headed off as soon as I released. I tried to work what was left and wasn't able to hang on. I dropped like a stone and landed with 4 other pilots just in front of me. We had a lot of relights today. My next tow I towed through a dust devil at 100' and broke a weak link again. I got back in line again(not really a line every one was gone) and retied my weak link. Try number four. Weak link broke as soon as I come off the cart. I took the hint and just packed up. About half the field made goal. I think Attila won the day.

1 comment:

Hoseair said...

Great to read your blog everyday Rob, love it. Hope tommorow goes better for you really wish I was there. Have fun and fly far I am living vicariously through you.

TTFN Jim

PS Say Hi to Armand for me