Saturday, January 12, 2013

Cold in Australia.

Today's task was 198km hook like task.  The first 100km was cross tail wind then turning more into the wind over the next 100km.  Davis didn't have a lot of confidence in the forecast due to some mid level cloud that the models don't take into account.  I didn't really like the call given the uncertainty of the forecast and sending pilot into a 20km/hr head wind over unlandable forest seemed like a bad idea.  I liked it even less as I approached the forest.

The tow paddock was stinking hot again today.  47c I think was the high temp.  I soaked my self behind the water truck watering the field which made it bearable setting up my glider before relaxing under it waiting for my turn to launch.  This idea caught on an several pilots started running after the water truck.  Tyler asked me "has Jamie thought this through", as she went running into the stream of water wearing white short.  "Nope" was my reply as she exited now wearing skin colored shorts.

I got towed up behind the trike today but broke a weak link at 600'.  The second tow was a real radio too, not sure how that weak link survived.  I was waved off just after towing through a thermal and went back and slowly started to climb out.  The wind was strong and I was drifting fast towards the edge of the start circle.  It was already past the first start time so I just kept going with it as I wasn't really worried about my start time on such a tough task.  I had one pilot working well below me but it was a near by bird that finally helped me get up to 8000'.  I headed of to the first forest and found some lift to drift over several km of unlandable terrain.  I saw a combat that just kept going right by me.  Later Paris told me it was him and he hit some huge sink and just about didn't make it across.  He landed shortly after.  Said he wish he would have stopped with me.  He was in second place going into the day and may have had a shot at winning but this will kill his chances.  I just kept drifting as the mid level cloud really seemed to be suppressing the lift in this area.  Once I got around the first turn point I hit the moon.  Really strong climb that took me to 12,000'.  Now I was really cold, thinking about how hot it was on the ground.  45c on the ground and 13c at 12,000'.  I stayed high for as long as I could pushing against the massive head wind.  I finally got low and landed 130km out about the time the task was stopped.  It was raining pilots where I landed so should be in the thick of the scoring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome flying Rob. Good on you.
The water truck seems like a gud idea, and I'm not surprised you were able to convince some of the female pilots to follow.

Gud' Day
Ross