Friday, January 11, 2013

Conditions much better.

Today's task was 180km dog leg off to the south(not that I know my directions here).  The forecast was for 20km winds, lift to 8000' and strong climbs.  I towed up last as I am not staging in the proper line.  I would be at the end of one line with my team at the end of the other so I just go to the back of their line and tow up last.  Doesn't make much difference but at least this way I have some help.  I got waived off by myself with no lift today and was a bit of work getting up over the airport.  Once I got up I managed to hook up with a few other pilots and we headed up wind in the start circle to get a better run to the first turn point.  It seem we were waiting for the second start time but I couldn't be bothered on a 180km task so I headed out.

Jamie followed me and we flew most of the flight together.  We are working really well together finding the core's.  We don't have radio contact so she is reluctant to lead out ahead of me.  We were going along pretty good but as the day was getting late I was above her and just couldn't wait.  If I wanted to make goal I need to hurry up before I ran out of day.  Davis had mentioned it was hilly and the elevation came up 2000' at goal.  This turned out to be a real problem late in the day.  I could find lift and dribble along but the landing options were becoming sparse.  With out being able to get up I just flew back and landed by the hi way next to a Japanese pilot.  We were all picked up before we got our gliders in the bag and made it town for dinner.

I've been doing a little better each day which was what I was hoping for.  We'll try to start picking up the pace over the next few days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is more like the Rob I know. , your getting better everyday. Way to go, getting the Rocky mtn. League off to a great start for 2013.
Enjoying your blog.
Ross n Cathie from Mexico