Thursday, April 24, 2008

My best day ever!

They got a little aggresive with the task today as cloud base was still low and the lift wasn't great. Add to that they send us down the soft spot in front of the swamp again. I'm a good postition at the first start and head out on course. Linda helps me find a good climb just past town. I find a better core and get much higher than she does. I head to a desert area south of the turn point as the cultivated areas don't normally work very well. This desision pays off as I get a good climb and help save a few low pilots around me. I topped out and ran back north into the wind to tag the turn point and come back to the same thermal. I top up agian knowing It's going to be soft in front of me. I'm getting low just before the prision and grab some week lift to stay as high as possible. A bunch of pilots catch up to me and people are just hanging on every where. I spot several guy's getting up and run towards them. A few gliders are really low below us and Scott and Alex are on the ground in front of the prision. Their is now about ten of us taking every inch of height we get. If they didn't notice me here yesturday I'm sure they will notice us today. When the lift stops we all head straight south to get to some desert and better lift. I'm with the lead gaggle and they are flying fast. I'm a little behind and hit some lift I decide to turn in. I gain a quick 500ft while the rest of the gaggle runs for a dust devil just forming next to the freeway. They get to the dust and find a strong climb. I follow not far behind and hit a strong core before I get to them. When they see I'm climbing faster they all join me and climb up to base. We now head on course to a mountian 10km before the second turn point. We fly around the peaks until some one finally finds some lift. The lift is moving and the rest of the gaggle finds a better core and leaves me behind. I head to the turn point alone and find a strong thermal 200m from the turn point. I'm drifting away from the turn point and when I get a few hundred meters from base I decide to get the turn point and come back to my thermal. Turns out to be a bad choice as I don't find the lift when I come back. It's getting late in the day and I work what ever lift I can find. I head back to the mountain hoping it is still working as the course line heads out over miles with out any roads. The day is over and the lift is all but gone. I land at the base of the mountain right next to I-10. It turns out I no one made goal and I finish 6th for the day. This is my highest finish ever in a major comp. Hope I can keep it up.

No comments: