Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Heading back to Germany!

Thanks to the US team some how piling my glider on with thier's,(I'll see if I can get a photo) I hopped a train back to Douselldorf. More presice a new friend dropping me off, a bus, a cattle car that sleeps people, a sub way across Paris (hurry your going to miss your train), a bullet train (holly crap thier fast), another train and a cab to the airport. It was interesting but would have been super stressful if I would have been trying to get back in time for my flight. Getting around France is tough as no one speaks English. I had no idea I needed to goto another train station when I got to Paris.

I thought about touring the south of France before heading back but decieded to head back to Germany first and then rent a car and goto Holland. I thought about Berlin but it's a bit of a drive. I offered to take some luggage for the Americans as the Van they rented was over flowning, literally. They had bags strapped to the top of the gliders. As Jeff said, "we look like the beverly hill billys. Lucky for me they declined my offer. I thought I would have lots of room on the train. I was wrong!

First the bus had almost no storage underneath it. I had to hold my harness in with my foot and then slam the door closed fast.

Next the cattle car train. It was an over night train so the cars are made for sleeping. One car has six cot's. The compartment is just wide enough to walk into with beds on both sides three high. Again just over head storage. I put my bag on an empty cot, lucky for me.

The sub way, well it's just like our trains. Good thing it was Sunday and not rush hour traffic. I had more room on the subway than the rest of my trip.

The bullet train has a little shelf for luggage which was already filled with other passengers luggage. Lucky the overhead storage fit my largest luggage. People just weren't very impressed getting hit in the head with it.

The last train again had only over head storage which was just big enough for fanny packs. I filled two empty seats with my bags. Got lot's of funny looks but no one said any thing. Not that I would understand them any way. Finally back to Douselledorf and piled all my crap into a cab.

No comments: