Sunday, July 5, 2009

Huge upset!

We had a good forecast today with little chance of over development. The forecast was for noth west winds which caused some indecision on which launch to use. After sending us to the lower north launch they changed thier minds and sent us to the uper south launch on Chabre. This sucks for me because I get to set up as far away from the parking lot as possible. It's the hottest day we've had yet and I am nearly dead by the time I get my glider to the rigging spot. Not to worry as the poor launch conditions mean I get to wait a long time before I will get to launch.

Our line moves the slowest and we are launching to the south while the other two lines are launching to the north. Half a dozen pilots from our line move to the other lines after they are cleared off. I am the third or fourth last off and find some weak lift to get me above launch. Eventualy it turns on and I get to cloud base five minutes after the second start window. I don't want to wait another 15min as we have over 150km to go. I just need to get there. I push hard by myself and get good glides and manage to catch a gaggle from the second start at the first turn point. I continue pushing and doing well catching up with pilots along the way. Just before Gap I get low and have to take a slow climb which will eventually turn on and get me back to cloud base. I make over the second turn point and no one is climbing very well so I just keep going. I glide to the dirt with a lot of other pilots around the second turn point.

I was happy with how I flew today just wish we could have had more days so I could have gotten into it a little sooner. More later on my trip home.

No comments: