Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Back in Rylstone.


The gang out for chinese food.



Bill Moyes, Bobby Bailey and a few others spent the night here and went out for Chinese food again. I’m the only hang glider pilot here so Bobby towed me up in the after noon and I set out to do a triangle as the winds looked very light. I wanted to try to do at least 100km. I’ve never finished any big triangles before. Cloud base was high over 2800m and I was getting climbs of 800ft/min on my averager. I made my turn 37km out as any further would have been over unlandable hills and there was a big storm in front of me about 20 or 30km away. I kept my eye on the storm as I flew the base of my triangle. I was still going good and staying high. I had picked a mountain to make my turn as long as the storm didn’t get too close. I made my turn at the spot I was hoping to get to and turned to run from the storm and back to the airport in Rylstone. As I tried to climb the clouds in front of the storm were casting a huge shadow on the ground and killing the lift. I would run for the sun light but as soon as I would stop to turn the shade would catch up with me and shut down the lift. I finally landed 19.9km from my goal. The gust front hit me five minutes after I landed. I landed at a ranch way off the road. Retrieved turned out to be very difficult. Thanks to Armand for coming to get me. He has been so much help for me; it’s made my trip a lot easier. The ranch hand was very nice and made me tea while I waited. While Armand was losing his mind trying to find me. I wish I would have started my flight 20 minutes earlier so I would have had a better chance to finish my triangle. Would have been 110km. It was the perfect day for it.

No comments: