Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Way off on the forecast.

The task today was 184km down wind which seemed a little ambitious considering the forecast. Davis has been right on with the forecast every day and today he called for light lift two to three hundred feet per minute and low cloud base around five thousand feet. I had to get people to get out of the way to get to launch just after it opened. Seems everyone has forgotten the problems you can run into during launch already and are happy to wait and launch later. So I was able to tow first again and broke a week link at 750m. I was able to work light broken lift up to 1100m. Only one other pilot towed up and Bobby was flying around him taking video. No one else launched for about ten minutes. Once I lost the lift I flew back and grabbed another thermal in the same spot I got the first one. Finally the rest of the field started to tow. Once other pilots joined me we got up to about 1400m. I headed off to the edge of the start circle with one other pilot. We both climbed up together and then headed off on course before the first start gate. As the forecast was so poor I thought I might as well get going if this was as good as it’s going to get I need all the time I can to make goal. We got one more climb together before we split. He got a much better line and I lost track of him. There was a small mountain cross wind from be but on course so I headed off hoping if I got there I could ridge soar until some thing came through. When I got to the near edge over a tiny little hill I hit good lift. I gained a thousand feet and lost track of it. Instead of chasing down wind after it I had it in my head to get over top of the higher rock covered faces. As I flew the full length of the ridge all I got was 0. When I got to the end instead of going back over the ridge and maybe try to find the first thermal I hit when I got there, I just turned down wind. As I got lower and lower I could see three dust devils. One of them was huge up to 1000’ high. The clouds were also starting to form just over my head. It was too late for me, I only had enough height to set up a landing. As I layed beside my glider I saw a couple gliders fly high over my head only 30 km out from the airport. As it turned out the forecast was way off and it got easy from where I had landed. Cloud base went up to 9000’ and guys arrived at goal high after a 30 km final glide. Over have the field made goal today.

No comments: