Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Forbes air field.

Last day of the comp. The forecast was good for today. High cloud base strong climbs and lighter winds. At any comp they call a short task on the last day to try and get every one back early for scoring and awards. Here in Forbes a short task turned out to be 137km. Head wind 63km then a hard right and Quartering tail wind. Davis came up to me as I did my usual walk from the back to the front of the launch line to take off first. He said the day is going to get better later so don’t take an early start. I took his advice and hung out for an hour and a half before the mandatory start.


People started towing early as the sky looked good so it wasn’t long before I had lots of company. Before I launched I asked the guy behind me if it was a left or right hand day. He told me he thought it was left. I had a couple guys join me and one started to wave his hand “change direction”. I guess it’s a right hand day. I got into a couple of big gaggles and people were all over the place turning in both directions through out the climb. It was total chaos and scary as hell. I can’t believe people come to these comps and refuse to turn in the direction they are supposed to. I was with the lead gaggle at the second start when every one turned back towards the edge of the start and then out on course. I just flew inside the start circle and headed out on course. I had a great start and was with the lead gaggle for the first time. It was nice to be able fly with guy’s for a change. I was dropped after the first thermal getting screwed up by guys not turning the right way. I saw guys all the way to the first turn point but flew by myself for the most part. I stayed high and cold for most of the flight. Lots of people were low around the first turn point and one glider had landed. I stopped in a slow climb to make sure I had lots of height. This was not needed as the day was still very good. I just didn’t want to take the chance of landing short. After I got around the turn point I flew under a huge cloud and again climbed up slow. I think part of the problem was just me not finding the good lift. After I got over 2400m it really turned on and I was climbing fast. When I got to 2700m I looked up at a very large very black cloud. I figured I’d better book it to the edge before I got sucked up. I stuffed the bar and was still climbing fast. I slowed as I got close to the edge and was over 2900m. I took one more good climb at 2200m to top up a bit when my numbers went positive (+11m). I went on a very long glide from 45km out and my numbers were falling apart. I got down to 1000m and I was -360m. I searched for lift and started to climb just as a dust devil started to form under me. I took this back up to 2500m 18km out from goal. I now had +890m to goal. I went on final glide not knowing exactly where goal was. I called my driver to see if they had a goal line today. She said yes there is a goal line. I continued to fly at 70km/h air speed and my numbers were holding steady. Finally I spotted goal 6km out and buried the bar as I was going to make it easy. I saw two other gliders turning to get down. I arrived more than 300m over goal. I wasted a lot of time but I didn’t want to risk not making it in. I asked for the wind direction and was told it was light and variable. I dived into the field. I flared a little late and didn’t have the energy to run. I just fell down and pounded in. It was my worst landing all week. I just wanted to lay there on the ground for a bit but figured I better get up before some one called an ambulance. I was glad I was able to end the comp on a good note.


No comments: