Saturday, January 5, 2008

Today they called 150km task. 79km down wind, 40km cross wind and 30 back into the wind. I wasn’t able to launch first today as I had to go back to check the task board and reprogram my GPS as they had listed the goal with the wrong name. By the time I got my instrument back on my glider and suited up I was six pilots back in line. I was still up near the front of the line and less keen pilots were unable to get launched before the last start time. Lots of bitching going on tonight. I was able to get high for the first start but I was still over the air field and the start was 10km away. I hung out with a gaggle and took the second start. Conditions were a lot better today but I remained cautious as I didn’t want to land early again. I stayed high and never got below 1200m on the way to the first turn point. As I was gliding to the first turn point I was falling fast and realized that I was flying into a blue hole. I stopped and started to turn in 0 lift 3km from the first turn point. Just drifting slowly towards the turn point. I was 1400m about the ground and the cloud street 5km to the north on course line once you made the turn point. I decided to go for it flying 90km/h in huge sink towards the turn point. I rounded the turn point and made a run for the clouds. I was down to 500’ above the ground and hit some strong lift. Around the lift was big sink and got dumped low before I could find the core. I ended up landing a few km past the first turn point. It turned out to be a tough spot and several pilots landed around the turn point. I heard the second turn point was another tricky spot with several more pilots down there.



One of the group that came out to see me after I landed. With the tough conditions at the turn point they were able to see a lot of the gliders over town low.


Part of my new fan club. The sheeps name is "sheepy"

I had a big crowd come out to see me after I landed. I got to meet some very nice, friendly people. Part of the fun of flying cross country is the random people you get to meet. I’d like to say hi to my new Aussie friends. Thank you for your kindness!! Not every one in the world is as hospitable

No comments: