Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Last day.


The awsome Rylstone sun set.
One last flight before packing up to head home. Well make that two….um ok three. A Swiss pilot is here learning to fly a dragon fly from Bobby. After they did some training in the morning Bobby took me up for a flight in the Dragon fly. It’s been a while since I’ve flown a plane but after some pointers from Bobby I found it quite easy. I need some work on the landings thou. After my Dragon fly lesson I set up my Hang glider to take it for one last flight. I towed up to 200m before my bridle released. I tried to work the lift but couldn’t stay up and landed. Bobby asked why I didn’t follow him as he was marking the lift for me. Just not as smart as I need to be some times. He is an amazing pilot. On the second tow I hit some good lift 500m off the ground and pinned off. We had some wind today which was going to make doing a triangle more difficult. I stuck with it to 2100m asl and had drifted 5km NE of the airport. Armand was going to the pool in Kandos 8km south of Rylstone to go to the pool for a swim. I decided to head that way into the 10km/h head wind to work on my up wind skills. Also if I ended up landing it would make it easier for retrieve. I got back to Rylstone, just a few km south of the air port when I got my next climb. I worked my way back up to 2000m and headed for Kandos. I got over the swimming pool and searched the area for some lift. I found a slow climb and drifted with it back over the near by hills. I topped out again at 2000m and headed straight west. I wanted to stay with in glide of the pool so I could land close and go for a swim. I flew out over an open pit mine and then turned back north. Not finding any lift I turned back towards the pool. As I got back the field I was planning on landing at didn’t look quite so flat from down low. So instead of trying a tricky landing right next to the pool I chose another field close by. After a nice landing I walked my glider back to the road just as Armand pulled up. I tore down my glider and we headed off to the pub for a cold drink. Then it was off to the pool to cool off. It was a huge pool with big trees on each side which provide great shade so you don’t get fried when swimming. After a couple hours in the pool it was off to dinner before Heading back to the airport to pack up my stuff.

No comments: