Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Flying in Gulgong.

The town of Gulgong from a couple thousand feet.

Geoff doing his seminar.


We got up early the next morning and headed out to Gulgong. The rest of the group had tried to fly there the day before with Geoff being the only one who made it.

I set up my glider when we arrived at the glider club in Gulgong. Moyes is doing a coaching clinic along with a tour to different sites around NSW. After Geoff did a talk on aero towing we started to get ready to go. They were having a hard time trying to decide on a task so every one just kind of did there own thing. The lift was light with a 20km wind out of the east. When I topped out in the lift I was with two other pilots. Two of us set out down wind. Rob the Dutch pilot and myself. We went on a long glide and found no lift. I didn’t want to land by myself because I had no radio or cell phone. So I stuck close to Rob which didn’t help much trying to find the lift on a weak day. We spotted some cattle stampeding in a field off to our left and made a ninety degree turn in a last hope to try and find some lift. They were starting to kicking off some thermals but we were unable to stay up long enough for the lift to come together. Rob picked a field and landed just before me. I had an hour flight and a short 5km xc flight.

No comments: